There are five dragoon regiments in the Royal Marines. Of these, the 1st, “Empress’ Own”, is attached to the House Guards and charged with security of Lundenburgh and protecting the ships in the Lundenburgh harbour.
The 2nd, “Gwynedd Free”, based in Brigstow and the 3rd, “Belerion Free”, based in Ictis are Colonial Regiments. Formed mostly of Prydain recruits, the two regiments are tasked with protecting the Empire’s interests overseas. Dylan ab Ifor is the commander of the 2nd regiment. The 3rd regiment is currently in operation in Africa.
The 4th, “Home Counties”, is based in Portcaester to guard the Channel crossing.
The 5th, “the Norsemen” or “Alba Royals”, is a training and reserve regiment based in Arcaibh Islands.
Ranks and organisation
All dragoon formations in the navy and army use the following ranks and organisation:
Insignia and Uniforms
The RMD insignia is an anchor with silver dragon wings around a globe. Each regiment’s insignia are topped with a regimental badge: a royal crown for the 1st, a sprig of gorse for the 2nd, a chough for the 3rd, a walled gate for the 4th and stag horns for the 5th.
There are three basic dragoon uniform styles, and they are also in use for the Marines formation:
- The cadet uniform is steel blue with yellow trimmings
- The regular uniform is navy blue with white trimmings
- The officer uniform is scarlet with blue and golden trimmings
In place of the usual dragon markings, the soldiers of the 2nd are allowed Aberffraw lions on buttons and cuff-links and the soldiers of the 5th are allowed the White Stags of Alba.
The regulation mount of RMD are Mountain Silvers, bred in the Royal Hatcheries of Alba. Also accepted are Highland Azures from Rheged and Gall Gaidel and (for recon duties) Jutish Swifts from Vectis and Hoo.
These are the Fifteen Royal Hatcheries which supply dragons for all branches of the army and navy:
1. Braeriach, Am Monadh Ruadh – Mountain Silvers “Wyrmkings”
2. Svirlehaugr, Rheged – Highland Azures “Seakings”
3. Thor’s Cave, Pecsaetan – Norse Whites
4. Eremue, Vectis – Jutish Swifts
5. Pont-y-Pair, Gwydyr Forest – Forest Viridians
6. Urra, Jorvik Moor – Norse Whites
7. Lys Ardh, Belerion – Kernow Crimsons
8. Cadair Arthur, Brycheinniog – Ancient Reds
9. Clofeshoch, Hoo – Jutish Swifts
10. Isle of Elig, Gyrwas – Fenland Celadons
11. Sniaull, Ellan Vannin – Vannin Cyan
12. Glen Trool, Gall Gaidel – Highland Azures
13. Dun Scaith, Scathach – Highland Greys “Shadowclouds”
14. Scearder, Mynydd – Purple Swifts
15. North Duns – Ebbesham – Imperial Goldens